We have 2 ways of applying for Dog Trainer membership:
1. We invite direct applicatons form candidates who have already been assessd and approved for ABTC ATI. Acceptance of a direct application for Dog Trainer Membership will be subject to evidence of your previous assessment and a "Get-to-know-you" interview. Please complete the Dog Trainer (ATI Already Assessed) application form at the bottom of this page.
2. We invite other applicants to apply via our written, observed practical and interview assessment route. Applicants are welcomed from established dog training instructors, who have successfully trained and instructed a significant range of dog breeds and their owners.
Please read ABTC ATI Standard and Am I ready for assessment? before applying.
If you think you are ready, fill in and submit the Application for Dog Trainer Assessment (found at the bottom of this page). If successful you will receive an invoice for £175, once payment has been received you will receive your trainer pack, this includes:
- Written assessment questions
- Training Diary (self-critique of a class you have taken)
When filling in the pack you will also need to provide us with;
- Risk assessment for your training venue
- Class booking form
- Relevant client handouts
- Lesson plans
- Post course evaluation form (if applicable)
Your completed trainer pack should be returned to us within 6 weeks.
Once your completed form is received, it will be assessed by two assessors. If we feel that you are not ready to proceed to the practical assessment, you will join our organisation as a student member while gaining further experience and knowledge. Please be aware that £75 of your payment covers the student membership and the remaining £100 is non-refundable.
If you are deemed ready to proceed to your practical assessment , you can then book onto one of our assessment days. To confirm this booking, you will need to pay the final £160
for both your practical assassment and a short post assessment interview.
The practical assessment will be held indoors and you will be required to teach a 30 minute lesson to 4 owners and their dog's a selection of the following exercises:
- Loose lead walking
- How to play with your dog
- Not jumping up
- Wait or stay
Some of the dogs in the class maybe more experienced than others. The class will be observed by two assessors, after which there will be a break followed by a short interview.
Next Practical Assessment weekend 2nd and 3rd October 2021 **spaces available**
If you are successful you will become a Full TCBTS Dog Trainer Member and be listed as on the ABTC ATI register (for which there is an additional £15 annual fee)
The annual fee fo full TCBTS Dog Trainer Membership is £75.
All TCBTS Dog Training Members must carry professional indemnity and third party insurance.
All TCBTS Members must comply with the TCBTS Code of Practice
Membership Application Forms
Application For Dog Trainer Assessment
Dog Trainer (Already ATI Assessed)